Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Opposites - Is one needed for the existence of the other?

Today I overheard two girls talking at school when I was there meeting up with my mother (who’s a teacher) for a late lunch. I couldn’t avoid hearing their conversation as I was sitting behind a section of wooden divider between my seat and the seat they where sitting on. But also I chose to listen because one of the girls where silently crying and I wanted to know why, perhaps the other girl was harassing her? I thought to myself.

As I heard more of their conversation it appeared to be the sad girl who was actually the bully and the girl comforting her was apparently “the victim”. For as it turned out, of what I heard, the sad girl and her friends had been calling the other girl names and had even put her through (as she said) games of theirs, pretending to be her friends just to betray her at any given moment for them to have a good, long laugh.

To continue on with the point of the story - -

The girl whispered something I couldn’t hear and then the sad girl responded:

Sad girl: “Why are you doing this for me?
Other girl: “What is it exactly that I am doing?”
Sad girl: “Being nice to me, why?”
Other girl: “Why not?”
Sad girl: “You think I’m an absolute A-hole!”
Other girl: "No, you behave like one. There's a difference."

We all know it’s easier to hate, blame and judge - then it is to forgive, forget and being open-minded – but despite the hell she had been through because of that girl and her friends, she chose to comfort her when she was down instead of doing what would have been done towards her if the roles had been different on that day. You could think that she only did it to be on the bully’s good side, so to say, but I don’t believe so. I think the story I heard today tells us; humans truly are good by nature, none depending on the walls built up around them. An image built up by what’s around you as; friends, job, education, money, et cetera, indicates but doesn’t tell who you really are.

This made me think and got me to remember what a friend once told me and perhaps now for the first time I've truly come to believe it may actually be true; that for one thing to exist the opposite also need to be in existence. He meant that in absolute times of darkness humans tend to cluster rather then standing alone, regardless of the content within the gathering. War as my example for darkness; brings people together for the main reason that no one stands unaffected and suddenly without anyone really noticing darkness has brought the people together. So maybe he was right. Perhaps darkness is needed for light to emerge? For bridges to reach the other end, for people to be people and not “us” and “them”. Instead it could be me, me and me. Me in a group of “me’s”, meaning that: it's about being individual within the group, not just being a group of individuals. For as long as there will be groups of individuals there will also be “us” and “them” mainly because they would be parts of different blocks.

I hope my point was found among the lines, I will edit this post tomorrow though to lack of time.

The night has faded and the day is here, so now I say goodbye to you all, of to work..
// "Zeige"

No comments: