Monday, December 8, 2008

The cave & the flashlight

(don't lose interest! the story is my point and try to see it for what it is, a choice, simply a choice)










One day I was riding my bicycle out for a down hill slope on my way home
And was at the end of it to turn left
From the other direction comes a car from nowhere,
I managed to break enough to get out of the incident alive
Because luckily for me the car was standing almost still when I crashed into it
Out of the car comes a tall, dark, well dressed man.
I was shocked of what had just occurred
And I had bruises all over and both my knees and hands were bleeding.
This man gives me his hand and I reluctantly took it since I was in such pain.
The man was to my surprise not visibly shocked or frightened for what had happened.
What he did is something I just recently came to understand.

This is what he said to me:
Close your eyes and see before you the end of a pitch black cave.
Then imagine you're holding a flashlight. Now, light it.

What happened, he said?

I logically responded: I lighted the flashlight and it alight? (Quite confused of what he wanted out of this)

Exactly! The man said with a big smile on his face.

Your point being? I asked.

My point exactly! He answered me.

I wasn't sure then if he was just crazy or trying to make a point without me noticing,
Or more as I saw it then that perhaps he meant that technology was amazing?
And that his car was expensive such which I was about to get to realize by an expensive demand through lawsuit.
But such wasn't the case.
The man asked me if I felt okay and after I answered I was all right,
He stood up,
Walked over to the car,
Sat down in the car,
Started the car,
Opened the window and said: “regardless of anything at all, the cave will lose to the flashlight”
He smiled, put on a pair of sunglasses and went of.
When I got home my wife meet me in the doorway.
And after I had explained what had happened from the beginning to the end a few times, she told me our car had been stolen just a while before I came home. She had reported it to the police who said they were on top if it. I suddenly came to realize that the car I hit was my car and the man was the thief who stole it. Everything had happened so fast I hadn’t seen it before then. The feeling that came over me was, to my own surprise, not anger but instead I laughed. Laughed long and high. I had just realized what he had told me.

What was this man trying to tell me?

I believe he meant: regardless of when or how,
Light will always conquer darkness,
It’s just a choice of lighting the flashlight.


its just a choice, and what good comes out of anger anyway?



My point exactly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nothing good comes out of anger :D, not a difficult question but the answer is kind of important.